The Facebook Chat Plugin allows your web visitors to interact with your Chatfuel bot using Messenger, directly on your website.
Users will have two options for initiating a chat with your bot:
- Logging in to their Facebook account. The user can choose to proceed with their Facebook account. In this case, the chat history will be saved for them and your bot, and you'll be able to reach out to them again in the future.
- Guest mode. Or, the user can choose to proceed as a guest, without logging in to a Facebook account. Learn more about guest mode from Facebook.
💡 Note: Your chatbot won't have access to any personal information for users who choose guest mode. So if your flow includes user attributes for personalization, it's best to build a separate flow without these for guest-mode users. An easy way to do this will be available soon when Entry Points are released. Stay tuned!
FAQs about guest mode for the Customer Chat plugin
How does guest mode benefit my business? Offering the option to chat without logging in can help attract new users to your bot. For the businesses that tested this mode before release, Facebook says they saw a 45% increase in customers inquiring about their products and services. More users leads to more engagement which can lead to more sales!
Will the chat history be saved when the user is in guest mode? Your chatbot will retain a copy of the conversation permanently, but it will only be available for the user in their browser for 24 hours.
Can my bot reengage guest-mode users later? The chat will end when the user decides to end it from the More menu, or 24 hours after the start of the conversation—whichever comes first. You can't reach out to guest-mode users again after this point. (More information from Facebook, here.) However, during the chat, your bot can gather contact information for that user on other channels (phone number, email), so you can reach out there later.
How do I turn on guest mode? Guest mode is automatically enabled, so there's no action required on your end.
How do I turn off guest mode? We recommend keeping guest mode turned on, since it generally results in more users for your bot. However, if you want to disable it, go to your Facebook page's Page Settings → Messaging → Add Messenger to your website → Get Started → toggle guest mode off.
Adding the Customer Chat plugin to your custom website
- Head to the Grow tab in your bot's dashboard and find the Customer Chat code generation tool.
- Click Enable, then paste in the domain of your website (and optionally also a REF parameter).
- Copy the generated code to your clipboard by clicking the Copy button.
- Open your website's source and paste the code between the <body> tags of the HTML.
You can optionally change the color and greeting text of the Customer Chat plugin by adding additional code to the <div> like this:
page_id="Your numeric page ID"
ref="optional ref parameter"
theme_color="optional hex color code"
logged_in_greeting="optional greeting message for logged in users"
logged_out_greeting="optional greeting message for logged out users">
theme_color: This optional field is the color that will be used as a theme for the plugin, including the background color of the Customer Chat plugin icon, and the background color of any messages sent by users. It supports any hexidecimal color code with a leading number sign (e.g. #0084FF), except white.
logged_in_greeting: This optional field represents the greeting text (max. 80 characters) that will be displayed if the user is currently logged in to Facebook.
logged_out_greeting: This optional field represents greeting text (max. 80 characters) that will be displayed if the user is currently not logged in to Facebook.
Adding the Customer Chat plugin to your WordPress website
In collaboration with our partner agency Master of Code, we've launched a WordPress plugin to integrate Customer Chat right into your site—without having to copy and paste any code.
Installing the Customer Chat plugin via WordPress's automatic method:
- Go to Plugins > Add New on your WordPress dashboard and type in Chatfuel Customer Chat.
- Select the Chatfuel Customer Chat plugin by Chatfuel & Master of Code and click Install Now.
- Click Activate Plugin.
Installing the Customer Chat plugin manually:
- Download the plugin and extract the chatfuel-customer-chat folder.
- With your FTP software, upload the chatfuel-customer-chat folder to the wp-content/plugins folder in your WordPress directory.
- Go to Plugins on your WordPress dashboard and find Chatfuel Customer Chat in the list.
- Click Activate.
If the Customer Chat plugin doesn't render on your page, make sure that:
- your website's domain is included in the Domain Whitelisting section of the Configure tab on your bot's dashboard
- your website is served over HTTPS
If you're still having trouble, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.