Sponsored messages are powerful tools for retargeting. They allow you to reengage bot subscribers that fall outside of the 24-hour standard messaging window. (If you want to acquire new bot users, you can check our full guide on Facebook Ads.)
When to use Sponsored messages
- Reengage bot users about new arrivals in store. E.g., You can create a custom audience only for users who finished your lead-gen flow.
- Set up drip campaigns. E.g., To send messages with a promo code to every user one week after registration.
When properly targeted, sponsored messages should be relatively cheap to run. To test it, we ran our own Sponsored Messaging campaign. We spent $9.19 to send 1,136 messages, which is less than once cent per message—on par with what the average SMS-marketing provider charges per text recipient. Of those, we were able to restart 282 conversations, which comes out to a cool $.03 each. 😎
How to send sponsored messages
Keep in mind that sponsored messages can only be sent to users that have messaged your chatbot in the past. They appear with push notifications and are delivered right on your user’s Facebook inbox.
Sponsored messages must be created and managed from Facebook Ads Manager. If you want to target specific users based on their actions in the bot, you can sync your segments to Ads Manager with our new feature.
Follow these steps to create a sponsored message:
- Go to Ads Manager and click Create Ad.
- Under the Consideration column, choose the Messages objective.
- Choose a campaign name and click Continue.
- Under Message Destination, choose Messenger.
- Use the drop-down menu under Messenger to select Sponsored Messages, then choose the correct Facebook page.
- Under Audience, Create a New Audience or Use a Saved Audience.
- At the Placements level, your only option will be Messenger, so no action is needed here.
- Choose your budget.
- Select the format Text Only or Text & Image for your sponsored message in Message Setup.
- Type your message (300 character limit) and upload a photo if desired (Facebook recommends 1200 x 628 pixels).
- You can add quick replies (up to 11) or buttons (up to three) to your message under Customer Actions.
- Finish your ad and click Confirm.
- Click Place Order to start tracking your sponsored message.
Note: Most sponsored messages are delivered within 24 hours of campaign start, Facebook recommends advertisers run sponsored messages campaigns for at least five days to maximize delivery.