❗NOTE: The ability to set up the Comments Autoreply feature through the Grow tab is being deprecated. Instead, we recommend using the Comments Autoreply Entry Point.
Acquiring Users from Comments (also known as the Comments Autoreply feature) comes in handy if you post content on your business's Facebook page on a daily basis. It's a great opportunity to grow your audience and commenters to become bot users.
This feature lets you engage users in a flow right after they leave a comment on one of your posts. For instance, if you're selling anything, this feature will help you reach out to users based on their comments and help them step by step towards completing a purchase.
You can also use this feature with your Facebook ads so the bot can reply to comments made on the Ad.
How to set it up
- Head to the Grow tab in your dashboard.
- Click on Add Rule under the Acquire User from Comments section.
3. The setup window will pop up. Here you can select if you want to reach out to users who comment on all page posts or a specific post.
4. If you want to use a specific post, you’ll need to enter the direct link to this post. You can find the direct link by clicking on the timestamp of the post you would like to use.
💡Note: If you see a long URL like this:
Be sure to only use the post identifier:
5. Select whether the bot should reply to all comments or comments that match specific keywords like: buy, what's the price?, how much?, and so on.
6. Optionally, you can modify the private message the user receives. This will help you to instruct the user to reply to the bot to become an official user. Keep in mind that the user needs to reply to the bot's private message in order to receive the block content.
7. Once you're happy with the message and have selected the block you want them to receive, click Done.
A note about video posts
Videos can be a bit tricky sometimes. Facebook provides an ID when you create the video, but as soon as there is one comment in this post, they change the Post ID and we aren't able to respond to these comments. In order to resolve this issue, you need to follow these steps to create autoreply rules for video posts:
- Open the video on your Facebook page.
- Post any comments to this video post.
- Copy the URL to your comment as in the example below.
4. The URL should look like this: https://www.facebook.com/chatfuel/posts/1082015535276464/?comment_id=1364814226996592
5. Remove the ?comment_id=1364814226996592 part, and use the https://www.facebook.com/chatfuel/posts/1082015535276464/ part in your rule.
6. Done! You've got the correct Post ID, now you can delete the comment from your video to keep it clean.
Other things to keep in mind
- The Autoreply feature will only trigger one private message per user per rule on the same post. If someone comments three times on the same post, they will only get one message—even if you delete their comment and comment again. If the user comments on a different post that matches a rule, they will get the message again.
- Chatfuel can only respond to comments made on the original post. Your bot cannot respond to comments made on shared versions of the post.
- Users need to reply to the bot's private message to become subscribers and receive the block content.
- Due to limitations with Facebook’s API, the Autoreply feature only supports plain text for the initial message users receive after commenting on a post. If you want to send rich content (such as images, buttons, etc.), you need to set up an AI rule that redirects to a block and prompt users to type in the keyword.
- When testing the comments autoreply feature on a post, make sure you are commenting from your personal profile—not your business page (which is set by default). If you comment as a business page, you won’t receive a message from the bot because business pages can’t message other business pages.
- Chatfuel can acquire users from the comments made on Facebook Live Streams out of the box if you are applying the rule to All page posts. If you want to capture the users from only a specific Live Stream, you will need to get the unique link once you start the stream and then setup the rule.
Try growing your bot with contests, giveaways & influencer marketing, too! ⭐️
For more questions or issues with this feature, contact us at email@example.com 😉