The difference between blocks and groups can be confusing to some new Chatfuel users, so let's take a closer look at these two elements.
What is a block?
A block is a section of chatbot content that can contain any number of elements (like text, buttons, quick replies, images, plugins, etc.). Think of a block like one step or topic in your Messenger chatbot's conversation with a user. For example:
- You might have one block to welcome users, which contains some text and a GIF.
- You might have another block that offers FAQs, which contains a gallery card of all the FAQ options.
- Then another block might contain the answer to a single FAQ, perhaps in the form of text and buttons with URL links—and so on for all the other FAQ answers.
Blocks appear as small white rectangles in the left-hand panel of the Automate tab in Chatfuel.
Navigating and editing blocks
To add a new block, click the + button in the left-hand panel. Click on a block to bring up its content in the workspace on the right. You can drag and drop blocks to rearrange their order in your view (this will not affect the order in which users will be served the blocks' content).
If you hover over any block, three dots will appear. Click them to show the block menu. From there, click:
- Copy... to duplicate that block to another group in your Messenger bot, or to a different bot on your account. (The block will still remain in the current bot, unchanged.)
- Move... to transfer that block to another group in your bot, or to a different bot on your account. (The block will no longer remain in its current place, but will be completely moved to wherever you chose.)
- Delete to completely erase that block and all its content. This action can't be undone.
What is a group?
A group is simply a collection of blocks. Think of groups like folders that allow you to keep your blocks organized by topic.
For example, you might have one block that offers FAQ options for users to choose from. Then, you'd likely also have several other blocks, each containing the answer to one question. You can drag and drop these blocks all together in your left-hand panel to form groups.
❗Note: Groups are not visible to users. They're an internal-only tool to help you, the bot builder, stay organized and easily modify your Facebook chatbot's structure if needed. You don't have to use them. Only do so if you find them useful.
Navigating and editing groups
To add a new group, click + Add Sequence or Group in the left-hand panel, and select Group.
You can collapse or expand groups in your left-hand panel by clicking the ▶️ / 🔽 symbol next to each one. Double click the group name to change it. If you hover over a group name, a ↕️ symbol will appear to the left of it, allowing you to drag and drop the group to rearrange its order in your left panel.
If you hover over any group name, three dots will also appear. Click them to show the group menu. From there, click:
- Copy to to duplicate that group to a different Facebook chatbot on your account. (The group will still remain in the current bot, unchanged.)
- Sync Clone to duplicate that group to a different chatbot on your account, and have any future changes in this "master bot" be automatically reflected in the "clone bot." Synced Cloning is a feature of Chatfuel's Premium Agency plan. Request a demo to learn about what it offers for your digital marketing agency.
- Export to CSV to export the stats for that group and all of its blocks, including how many users were sent, viewed, and clicked each one.
- Delete to completely erase that group, all its blocks, and all their content. This action can't be undone.