If you want to acquire more users by making use of Facebook's ad functionality, we have two recommended ways to do so:
- Use a Messages Objective ad linking to a Messenger Destination.
- Use an Engagement Objective ad with Acquire Users from Comments.
If you are on Pro you can also step-up your ad-game by creating a custom or lookalike audience based on your most valuable bot subscribers.
"Messenger Destination" Ad
The Messenger Destination ad is a special ad type by Facebook. The ad will appear in the Facebook newsfeed (like a normal ad), but users who click the call-to-action button will be redirected to a Messenger conversation with the page.
(NOTE: Users must "double opt-in" before becoming a subscriber. This means a user must respond (by clicking a button or manually typing a response) to the initial Messenger prompt shown below. This is a precautionary measure by Facebook to prevent spam and data misuse.)
1. Head to Facebook Ads Manager. Create a new campaign and choose Messages for the objective. Click Continue.
2. Leave Click to Messenger selected by default.
3. Choose the targeting for your ad within the Audience section. (You can use Chatfuel to create Lookalike audiences of your most valuable subscribers, too!)
4. Select Edit Placements and de-select Instagram. While you can run Messenger ads on Instagram, it can result in poor user experience. Test it yourself, though!
5. Choose your budget and schedule.
6. Under Identity, select the same page where the bot is connected. (An easy verification is ensuring the profile picture under Identity matches in Chatfuel.)
7. Choose the ad's format, image, and content.
8. Under the Messenger Setup section at the very bottom of the page, select Custom Template then Get Started. This will help us connect the basic welcome message (required by Facebook) to a more feature-rich block in Chatfuel.
9. Write the message you want to send to users who click the ad in their newsfeed. (TIP: It's best practice to ask a question and let the user choose between two answers. Remember, users don't become subscribers until they respond back!)
10. Let's change the default buttons from Quick Replies to Buttons.
11. Finally, let's link each answer choice to a corresponding block in Chatfuel. This will provide us with greater flexibility. For example, we can segment users based on their choice and then subscribe them to a relevant 7-day nurture sequence.
Let's change Open a website to Send a postback for each button. Then use the code below to tell Facebook what Chatfuel block you want linked to each button:
block name: NAME OF YOUR BLOCK
(NOTE: The line of code is case-sensitive! If you have a block called Cat Answer, the code would be "block name: Cat Answer" without quotes.)
12. Click the Preview in Messenger button at the bottom of your Custom Template setup window to ensure everything is working as expected!
"Acquire User From Comments" Ad
The Acquire Users from Comments feature turns users who comment on your Facebook posts into subscribers on Messenger. If a user comments below the ad, they will receive a message from your bot.
1. Publish a post as the Facebook Page your bot is linked to.
2. Set up Acquire users from comments for this Facebook post.
3. Head to Facebook's Ad Manager, create a new ad. (Engagement — Post Engagement is recommended.)
4. Choose an audience for your ad and set up the ad for the post of your page which is linked to Acquire users from comments.
5. If you're satisfied with the ad, place the order and get ready for new users!